Don’t be fooled by the makeup or the costumes.
David Bowie is a reader, big time.
Truman Capote, Hubert Selby, Jr., Saul Bellow, Junot Diaz, Jack Kerouac, George Orwell, Ian McEwan, Julian Barnes, Mishima and Bulgakov. To name a few.
In no particular order that I can Identify, here are the first five books on the list:
- The Age of American Unreason, Susan Jacoby, 2008
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Junot Diaz, 2007
- The Coast of Utopia (trilogy), Tom Stoppard, 2007
- Teenage: The Creation of Youth 1875-1945, Jon Savage, 2007
- Fingersmith, Sarah Waters, 2002
I have heard of exactly none of these, but I’m definitely intrigued.